Friday, July 22, 2011

Why...No Bake Granola Bars?

I have been on a hunt for a superb recipe for no bake granola bars and have finally found the most perfect recipe. Mainly I have been wanting to find interesting new ways to get the most benefit out of my raw/local honey without damaging the health properties.

Raw honey is the most highly concentrated Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral, Anti-Fungal Substance found in nature. On top of being jam packed with numerous, vital, minerals that are practically impossible to find in any foods we eat.

To me raw honey is pure gold. And since it's properties disappear after being heated any more than 118 deg Fahrenheit or 50 deg Celsius. Thus sparked my search to find ways to get the benefits in fun ways for my family to enjoy.
Of course I tweaked it a bit as I love to pack in vital nutrients as sneakily as I can.

This "No Bake" recipe is perfect because It's the perfect combination of deliciousness with out renewing the health benefits of your raw honey.

  • 2 .5 cups rolled oats ( I used a granola mixture packaged and sold from my local grainery)
  • 1.5 cups nuts (I used walnuts and pecans and flax seeds)
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 6 tablespoons salted butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 8-9 tablespoons raw honey
  1. Mix oats, nuts, raisins, flax seeds and coconut in a large bowl. Drizzle with honey and mix thoroughly.
  2. Place butter, sugar, cinnamon in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it is mixed thoroughly and slightly caramelized. Remove from heat and stir into oat mixture until evenly coated. Let sit just until cool enough to handle.
  3. In the meantime, line a 7×11 inch pan with plastic wrap or wax paper. Spoon mixture into pan, pressing down to compact. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up. Remove from pan, peel away plastic wrap and slice into 16 bars (half lengthwise and then into 8). Wrap individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper, if desired. Store covered at room temperature.

Makes: 16 servings

* If making gluten free make sure that the oats are gluten free


No comments: